Wednesday 19 September 2012

Some old projects and some swaps

Things have been a bit quiet around these parts recently. Life has taken over a bit and I haven't been doing as much sewing as usual, but I thought I'd pop in and say Hello, and show a couple of older projects that I've been working on recently.


First of all is my Recess quilt. I found a pile of American Jane Recess charm packs in my local quilt shop a while back and decided to make a simple charm quilt out of them as part of the lovely Kelly's My Precious QAL. I made a good start but got distracted by other things until I saw this beautiful quilt on the Nana Company blog a few weeks ago and fell in love! I had already been thinking about trying a quilt with lots of borders after looking through my new-to-me Sandy Klop book, and seeing the beautiful quilts that evolved in the Round Robin group in the Around the Bend quilt group on Flickr, and after receiving some gorgeous American Jane fabric from some lovely generous people, I decided to get my borders on! I love it so far! Trouble is it's already pretty big so I'm going to have to stop adding borders soon.


I've also been doing a bit more on my Scrap Vomit Quilt that I started around October 2010! This was always a project that I kept wanting to work on, but it always got pushed down the list. Despite Murphy's best attempts at distracting me, I have now got all those blocks sewn together, and I have a bunch of new 2.5" squares thanks to to a swap that Katy set up in the Scrap Vomit flickr group. I love making these blocks. It's a lot of fun to grab squares randomly and chain piece them all and see what the block turns out like. Fun mindless sewing :)

The scrap vomit square swap tempted me off my no-more-swaps-ban, and I have signed up to two swaps on Flickr. First of all the Mouthy Stitches swap. I managed to resist this one the first time round, but those clever mamas decided that the swap item this time was a Tote Bag. Who can resist a tote bag? Not me!

Here is the inspiration mosaic I have made.


Then along came round 9 of the Pillow Talk {Swap} on Flickr. This is my favourite swap. It was the very first Flickr swap I participated in, way before I started this blog. I've done 3 rounds, but missed the last few rounds, and I'm really looking forward to playing again.


Above is my Pillow Talk Swap inspiration, and below is the pillow I received in the first round I did. It is my favourite cushion, and the kids call it "Mummy's precious cushion" It has a teeny tiny hexagon featuring a picture of my first dog Poppy printed onto silk. Amazing!


The Mouthy Stitches sign-ups are closed, but the Pillow Talk Swap sign ups are open now, if anyone fancies joining in, even if you don't, the inspiration mosaics alone are worth a visit. Prepare to lose an hour of two while you enjoy looking at them ;)

Happy wednesday!
Fiona x

18 comments:

  1. Oh love all the borders! Scrap Vomit is really cool but Murphy steals the shot! He's grown into such a handsome chap hasn't he!
    I'm in Mouthy Stitches, but have held off on the Pillow Talk, although I am tempted :-)
    Silky Poppy is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always fancied joining the Pillow Talk Swap but never have. Some really gorgeous cushions come out of that swap. Your quilts in progress are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you have been busy! Love all these glorious photos. Look forward to seeing your swap makes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mosaics make me want to stitch more! I'm off...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mosaics - I think you go for very similar colours and designs to me. And I can completely see why you're adding borders, that quilt is stunning - new blog to me. Keep saying I'll not explore any more new blogs but don't manage to stick to it! Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  6. love all your borders and the scrap vomit is ace, it is definitely going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That recess quilt is looking lovely. I am a big fan of American Jane but have not seen many of your prints.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see all of the AJ quilt!! Have fun in the swaps - I'm looking forward to seeing what you make (and receive!).
    P.S. Oops, I think you've just insulted Hadley ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful borders! And I am still so tempted by a scrap vomit, but alas I think it may be one of,those that goes on and on! Perhaps I should follow your lead and get on with finishing a few more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'd love to see more of the American Jane Quilt.... that show 'n tell at Jo's made borders pretty scary to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the American Jane quilt- adding borders is brilliant! I hope Hadley doesn't ''punish' you for your slight! I love looking through people's mosaics and those at Nanacompany are really special!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey stranger :o) Your WIPs are looking fab, and have fun in the swaps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My hasn't Murphy grown since I last saw him! Love that Nana company quilt - her stuff is so delicate and girly! You've certainly got lots going on there Fi! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you have been very busy! I love your Scrap Vomit Quilt.
    Murphy is so cute

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait too see more of that quilt! I signed up for PTS too, this will be my first round but I have been drooling over the loveliness made for a while now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! Been missing you! Love the simple patchwork in the AJ quilt and your mosaics are so lovely. I am in both swaps too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am always tempted by PTS and this time I was REALLY tempted,but I have decided to sit back and watch for one more round!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love reading comments and I try hard to reply to them all, but I'm a busy Mum and sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day. Please don't be offended if I don't reply :)
If you never receive a reply from me, please check you are not a no-reply commenter.