Tuesday 6 March 2012

Productivity!

Thankyou so very much for all the lovely kind comments, emails, cards and texts after my last post. I wanted to thank each of you personally, but some of you are no reply commenters, so if you haven't received a reply I want to say Thankyou. All your kind words meant a lot.

I've had a wee break from the computer in general (and phone and laptop) so I feel like there's a lot of catching up to do.

IMG_1717
I haven't meausred this quilt but that's a 6 foot fence it's draped over
I've been stitching like a mad-woman while the computer's been off. I always thought I loved being on my own when the kids were at school and nursery, or when I finish a late work shift and everyone else is in bed. But it turns out that I was never actually on my own, and the little warm furry body that faithfully snored beside me meant even more than I realised. I've been in a sewing (and cleaning) frenzy to try to distract myself, and I'm amazed at how much I have produced (and how much nicer my house looks when it's had a good tidy up and clean)!

Warning there are quite a lot of photos following!

IMG_1703
My FMQ is slowly improving

IMG_1722
The back
First of all I basted and quilted a quilt top I made 2 or 3 years ago. As soon as I finished the top I fell out of love with it and put it away, but I put this on my list for Rhonda's Finish Along and I'm so glad I finished it off. My Granny will be 90 years old this August and I'm going to give this to her for her birthday. I love it now it's done and I think she will too. Fabric is Mill House Inn by Fig Tree Quilts for Moda.

IMG_1742
Baby Quilt back
The back
I also made this little baby quilt using charm squares I cut from Sarah Jane's lovely line Children at Play. I added some dots and Metro Living circles too. This quilt was sooo quick to make. It only took a few hours. My sister asked me to make it for her new nephew. I've still to handstitch the binding down, but I'll hopefully get that finished tonight after work.

Pizza!

The lovely Ceri asked for Paper pieced food for her month in the Brit Bee and I got to work straight away. She mentioned that one of her kids' favourite food was pizza and I found this brilliant pattern!

Drink up

After I'd made the pizza I found a great stripey charm square and had to make a drink with a bendy straw.

Swoon Block 4
Swoon Block 5

I've made another 2 Swoon blocks

IMG_1750
IMG_1749
IMG_1748

and jumped on the Granny Square bandwagon and joined the QAL going on over at the Old Red Barn Flickr group. I can't stop making theses little blocks. I had only planned a baby quilt, but if i keep loving them so much I might end up with a Queen Size! As soon as I saw Jolene's gorgeous quilt I loved it and was so excited when Dana and her merry gang decided to do Granny Squares for their QAL.

That's it for now, but I think that's quite impressive for a week's sewing, don't you? :)

Take care
Fiona x

18 comments:

  1. Wow, you really have done loads! Love the stripy bendy straw :-) I'm trying to not start making granny square blocks, I get so little done as it is, I don't need another project. Must . . . be . . . .strong . . . LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on being so productive; I don't need much of an excuse not to clean the house; so you're doing admirably!
    Love the quilts and blocks, not sure how long my granny block resistance will hold out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is a lot for 1 week! I love your granny squares - I really should join in on that QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, you have been busy! Love those paper pieced blocks - very clever with the stripey straw. ;o)

    Great quilts and more lovely ones to follow... looking forward to more of your Swoon blocks and grannys.

    Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on falling for the granny squares. I have been making mine for a couple weeks now in all kinds of color groups. I have gotten so distracted making them that I now cant remember what I wanted them for. I missed the Swoon thing altogether one day soon will have to come back around for that.

    http//richardquilts.blogspot.com
    http://trackmyshows.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an impressive amount of stitching - I love them all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's a serious amount of creativity. Love your 2 quilts, and those paper pieced blocks are hilarious! Great job on your swoons and grannies too :oD

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's amazing for one week! Love your paper piecing. Love everything really, and those colours in the swoon blocks. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love all your output fiona - and i've not been in blogland for a couple of weeks either, so just read about ava - so sorry - they drive you nuts but they're gorgeous anyway. hope you're feeling less sad ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! Lovely, lovely, lovely and even more loveliness! AND you're doing granny squares! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow that's a whole lot of sewing! It all looks brilliant, especially love the paper piecing and the granny squares.

    ReplyDelete
  12. quite impressive? Mega impressed!! All gorgeous projects! I'm sure both quilts will be very loved, the fmq looks great! The paper pieced blocks are so impressive.
    I'm so sorry about Ava, a very sad time. huge hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that is a lot for one week! Your straw is way too awesome! And I want to know your secret about making the Sarah Jane quilt in only a few hours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love the pizza and pop and especially the bendy straw. And congrats on the finish, I bet your granny will love it. I am slowly giving into the granny squares, I can feel it happening.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my Fi you've been sewing like a demon!! Love the Granny blocks, they'll make a gorgeous baby quilt, and I love the orange in the swoon - delicious! You've turned
    lots of good things out of bad situation. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great quilts good to get a couple of finishes! Totally love the swoon blocks and you have just reminded me I want to do the granny squares too - will look up the QAL! Thanks Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blimey girl, when you need distracting, you really do produce! You already know how much I love my pizza and cup, they're faberoony :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Productive? you're no kidding!! Gorgeous work, and I love your pizza slice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love reading comments and I try hard to reply to them all, but I'm a busy Mum and sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day. Please don't be offended if I don't reply :)
If you never receive a reply from me, please check you are not a no-reply commenter.